The Wessex Wire

The Student News Site of West Essex Regional High School

The Wessex Wire

The Wessex Wire

BingeWatching: ‘The Bachelor’ (Feb. 29)

By Olivia Ritter ’17

Three girls, one Ben in Jamaica on this week’s “The Bachelor.” It’s boiling down and serious decisions are being made about the future Mrs. Ben Higgins. Who will stay and who will go?

Week 9 is comprised of overnight dates (you’ve heard of the fantasy suite) with all three women. As you know, the three lucky ladies are Jojo, Lauren and Caila, whom Ben has described as “beautiful, funny and sweet” multiple times. But, which woman is worthy of becoming his wife?

The first date is Caila’s, and it’s pretty awkward. They’re on this cool boat contraption in Jamaica and they don’t say a word to each other. Keep in mind this is the “deepest relationship” Ben has with one of the women. Really, Ben?

Caila’s side interview is just her freaking out about being scared to fall in love. Give it up, Caila, you told your family and you told us now tell him. But, the date continues in silence, with occasional kissing. When in doubt, make out.

It isn’t until dinnertime when Ben confronts Caila and her silent behavior. She admits that she is nervous about the two other women involved but decides that she is going to let it all out. Yup, she tells him those three magic words. This is “The Bachelor” and there’s no saying it back. So, Caila and Ben go to the fantasy suite with only one “I love you.”

Next up is Lauren, who has the cutest of the dates. Ben takes her to an animal reserve where they help release baby sea turtles into the wild. Note: Sea turtles are a dying species, and they’re allowing random 20-something-year-olds to release them into the wild surrounded by cameras. Makes sense.

Anyway, they technically make life. Lauren even calls Ben her “person.” (“Grey’s” fans know the power of the “person.”) They are all giddy about it up until dinner, where Lauren worries about telling Ben how she feels. Ugh, don’t worry. She tells him. His reply? “I’ve known I love you for a long time now.” Rule-breaking Bachelor Ben! And to the fantasy suite they go!

Now, it’s the final date: Jojo. They do a little bit of waterfall jumping and hidden lake kissing. But, at the side of this beautiful Jamaican landscape, Jojo blurts those words right out.

(Side note: I can’t help but wonder what it’s like to be told three times in a week “I love you.” Does it feel weird? What do you say? What should you say? Should I be the next Bachelorette and find out?)

But wait. What does Ben say? He says “I love you” right back. Game changer. “The Bachelor” just became “Sister Wives.” I’m kidding, this is totally against the rules. Bad Ben. They, too, head up to the fantasy suite with fireworks crackling in the background.

After the dates are done and we are all anxiously awaiting the rose ceremony, Caila decides to pass the last 45 minutes by heading over to Ben’s digs to surprise him. It’s never a good idea to take the bachelor by surprise.

Ben is obviously confused about Caila’s just popping in. He takes this time to sit Caila down and tell her that she’s going home. I mean he did tell two girls that he loves them, so he has a lot on his plate, already. Why wait until the rose ceremony, he’s breaking all the rules anyway!

Caila is understandably distraught and tells Ben that she still loves him and it was great getting to know him. What do you say to the guy you’ve known for nine weeks and have had four dates with and told you love him that is sending you home from Jamaica? A punch in the face might be good. That would just ruin it for the girls that he is in love with, though.

After Caila is gone, it’s time for the rose ceremony. Jojo and Lauren confidently stride out of their respective SUVs and each have a private chat with Chris Harrison before stepping outside to wait for Ben. They both tell Chris that they told Ben they love him and that Ben reciprocated. Chris is a little concerned. Messing with “The Bachelor” rules doesn’t sit well with Chris Harrison.

Now the question is, which woman will Ben’s wife? Will it be Jojo, the one he is “most [himself]” around? Or will it be Lauren, the one who he feels is “too good to be true?” We’ll find out when we binge again next Monday at 8 p.m.!