Movie soundtracks capture students’ hearts

By Hayley Brener, Features Editor

While the events on screen are what attracts most viewers, the audience often leaves a movie with a stronger memory of the music. Good luck getting “Let it Go” out of your head after seeing“Frozen.” Many popular movies have soundtracks that are used to make the audience feel a certain way or set a mood. Around the time a popular movie comes out, the soundtrack typically appears at the top of the charts, attracting viewers to the movie.

What makes certain movie soundtracks so popular is that they contain catchy songs that people remember and will then associate with the movie. Many people associate songs with the certain scene it was in and often tend to listen to it afterward. The music industry and movie industry can profit off of one another in this way, making soundtracks a powerful addition to films.

“‘My Heart Will Go On’ always reminds me of the Titanic,” junior Ali Gann said. “I always think of that scene when I hear the song.”

Popular soundtracks from the past year, “The Greatest Showman,” “The Fate of the Furious,” “Moana” and “Pitch Perfect 3” were the top four favorite movie soundtracks in a poll of 100 students here at West Essex.

“The Fate of the Furious” album is popular even among people who haven’t seen the movie. Artists like Lil Uzi, Young Thug, Post Malone, Migos and Lil Yachty attract a lot of attention. Having popular artists in a movie soundtrack can help bring in new audiences to the movie, especially when trying to appeal to the same type of audience.

“I already knew every song in the ‘Fate of the Furious’ album before I saw the movie,” sophomore Rachel Quinn said.

The contributions of Lin-Manuel Miranda, “Hamilton’s” composer, to Moana’s soundtrack helped it become an instant hit. Children and teens who have seen the movie enjoy the soundtrack but adults are more intrigued by Miranda’s work.

“I know it’s kind of childish but I love the songs in ‘Moana,”’ junior Hayley Scheer said. “They’re so catchy.”

Within the “Pitch Perfect” soundtrack, the cast sings covers of popular songs like Sia’s “Cheap Thrills” and Avicii’s “Wake me Up,” attracting many other viewers. It’s no surprise that the movie based upon a group of girls in an acapella group has a remarkable soundtrack. Since it is the third “Pitch Perfect” movie, fans who have seen the previous movies are expecting this kind of soundtrack.

“I honestly love the ‘Pitch Perfect’ versions of songs better than the original songs,” junior Brooke Ivler said.

Another notable soundtrack belongs to is “The Greatest Showman.” It was written by the artists who wrote the music for the movie “La La Land” and music for broadway show, “Dear Evan Hansen.” The musical features famous artists like Zac Efron, Hugh Jackman and Zendaya. Fans who adored Zac Efron’s singing in High School musical were eager to hear the songs from this new musical. Overall, these new albums bring a sense of style and fun that West Essex students can’t get enough of and make the movies even more exciting.