OPINION: Online learning actually isn’t that bad

Photo courtesy of Chad Davis (CC BY-SA 2.0)

When President Trump announced the suspension of travel to and from Europe, many Americans scrambled in airports to secure their flights back to America.

By Chris Rysz, Opinion Editor

Although there may be dissatisfaction amongst students and teachers in regards to these unprecedented circumstances and adjustments, I think online learning isn’t that bad. For me at least, I feel more freedom to either sit back and relax whenever I want or do personal tasks that I have been putting off for months. It’s a win-win. 

On a typical day of regular school, I usually get up at approximately 6:30 a.m., but during online school, I am able to get up anywhere from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.. These extra hours of sleep put me in a better mood for the rest of the day, even if I’m not able to leave the house. Additionally, many of the days during the first week have been sunny and warm and working with that scenery in a nearby window drastically improves the quality of my work as well as my willingness to not do the work last minute, since I’m a procrastinator. Another point to mention is that this style of work, remote learning, is a better representation of collegiate learning, so we might have to get used to this. While this is specifically a personal benefit, I’m sure anyone who works with a comfortable background of their choice will feel less stressed about their work. 

With this extra time at home, students have a chance to improve contact with their families. The obvious hindrance, however, is that grandchildren are recommended to limit contact or be near their grandparents or other older relatives, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website, as the coronavirus spreads rapidly. While that honestly sucks, the extra free time still does give us a chance to talk to them and other relatives over the phonesomething I have taken advantage of. Personally, I consider myself very communicative with my grandparents, and yet, I have called them this first week more times than I typically call them in a month.

However, I understand how students may not like this transition. For starters, communication with teachers is a crucial aspect of success with online learning and if students are unable to understand assignments or hear others ask questions during class, they may fall behind or do assignments incorrectly. Also, the general stress that COVID-19 brings can affect a student’s learning and work. Junior Kevin O’Shaughnessy said that with all of the quarantines and chaos, teachers should be more forgiving when it comes to work. 

“I don’t think teachers should be giving us so much work each day when we have a bigger problem to deal with,” O’Shaughnessy said. “Lots of students are very stressed and getting work that we may not care about is making it worse.” 

Personally, though, I feel school boards should seriously consider implementing remote learning days into the normal schedule. This conversation can also interlock with the discussion of schools having mental health days. While having some, yet minimal work and still counting as school days, these online learning days can serve as a stress reliever for many students because they can be productive in the comfort of their own homes. 

Although I’m presenting an argument that includes my benefits of online learning and a push to consider future online learning days, it’s important to not forget what caused this. As of March 24, just over 400,000 have contracted COVID-19 and more than 17,000 have died, according to Worldometer’s COVID-19 tracker. Obviously, I want the world to move past this pandemic together, I just want to show that these days are benefiting me and are overall beneficial to maintaining standards of learning as well as good health practices.

Photo credit: “Coronavirus” by Chad Davis (flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/49640411737)

Behind the Byline
Photo of Chris Rysz
Chris Rysz, Editor-in-Chief
Besides chilling out with his boy Garrett Kessler in journalism every three out of four days, Chris Rysz is an opinion editor for the Wessex Wire. Chris’ favorite baseball team is the Yankees, and his favorite player is Aaron Judge.  Fun Fact: Chris is ADDICTED to collecting baseball cards.
  • Rally the Knights: A list of West Essex family businesses you can support

COVID-19

Rally the Knights: A list of West Essex family businesses you can support

• The West Essex field hockey team organized WEFE Cares, which raised $5,500 to send meals and support to local hospitals and staff responding to the COVID-19 outbreak.

COVID-19

Field hockey team raises $5,500 to feed medical staff

• Seniors continue to do school work while worried about fate of events such as their graduation.

COVID-19

Seniors grapple with unanswered questions and loss of milestones

• During quarantine measures in the United States as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, some college students opted to stick to their spring break vacation plans.

COVID-19

OPINION: College students demonstrate spring break stupidity

• Although these times can be an emotional roller coaster for many, it

COVID-19

OPINION: Use coronabreak’s time wisely

• In the face of the coronavirus outbreak, New Jersey hospitals are facing unprecedented challenges in terms of volume of patients.

COVID-19

Q&A: Hackensack doctor describes her coronavirus experience

• As teachers adjusted to the first few weeks of distance learning, juggling home life and work life was often the biggest challenge.

COVID-19

WE teachers balance virtual learning and real life

• Gov. Phil Murphy announced on April 16 that the statewide closure of schools will now extend to at least May 15.

COVID-19

Governor extends N.J. school closures to May 15

• A Day in the Life: Quarantine Edition

Arts & Culture

A Day in the Life: Quarantine Edition

• The short-term effects of the global coronavirus pandemic on the American economy is undeniable.

COVID-19

OPINION: Amidst chaos of coronavirus reactions, economic impacts hit hardest