The Wessex Wire

The Student News Site of West Essex Regional High School

The Wessex Wire

The Wessex Wire

The Mix: Under the Radar – Rock Bands You Should Know

By Mike Bachmann ’17

Under the Radar highlights band, artists and musical influences on the come-up that you should get to know now. Here, dogs bark in the shadow of Asking Alexandria with two great new names in rock music.

The Winery Dogs

winery_dogsAfter two successful studio albums, The Winery Dogs are an unpredictable amalgam of rock, blues, ballads, pretty much anything you could desire. The trio of Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big), and Richie Kotzen (Poison), combine their unique styles which come together extremely well. After seeing two of their concerts and being so close to the stage that Billy Sheehan was literally sweating on me, there is no competition that this was the best example of musicianship and fun these guys were having. If you haven’t already, go take a listen to their brand new album “Hot Streak.” If you’re a lover of rock, you won’t regret it.

We are Harlot

we_are_harlotAsking Alexandria lost an exceptional frontman in Danny Worsnop last year. His new project, We are Harlot, is not anything close to what Asking Alexandria is. This album lives and breathes what rock is all about and is a clear representation of it. They made a profound impact with their first record. Keep an eye out for We are Harlot and the Harlot Army. They aren’t going to be your typical one-hit-wonder. Listen to the catchy, hook-y single “Dancing on Nails” here and try them on.