Second seasons of renowned shows leave fans stunned with highs and lows

Photos Obtained from IMBD

Season 2 of “Outer Banks” lived up to the hype while the second season of “High School Musical the Musical the Series” hit a sour note.

One show took over the charts in 2019; the other show dominated the peak of COVID-19 times. “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series” and “Outer Banks, ”respectively, were global phenomena that attracted millions of viewers in their debut seasons. Fans anxiously awaited the premiere of Season 2 for both shows, but after watching both, it is clear that one reached, if not surpassed, the hype while the other tanked, leaving fans bored and questioning why they even watched the show in the first place.

When Season 2 of “Outer Banks” aired on Netflix July 30, people couldn’t take their eyes off of the screens. Instantly captivated by the Pogues’ devastation of Sarah Cameron and John B. ‘s assumed death, the audience wanted to shout through the screen to the Pogues, “THEY’RE STILL ALIVE!” Though fans were eager to see the group reunite, the moment where they finally saw each other again was worth the wait. For a moment it was heartwarming, but it didn’t last long due to the show’s never ending intensity that kept fans on the edge of their seats throughout the duration of Season 2. Featuring the constant battle with Ward and Rafe (Sarah’s dad and brother) and a new opponent Limbery, Season 2 forced the Pogue’s to raise their game in order to avoid death by cops, prisoners, guns, stranglings and drownings; hence, it was a chaotic ten episodes. 

Through defeats and victories, one thing that never wavered was that the five– Pope, JJ, Kei, John B and a recently added Sarah really were Pogues for life. They endured unimaginable hardships and navigated the roughest of waters (literally twice).  Throughout the first two seasons the show portrayed how friends can be family, a concept that has helped bond viewers and critics globally. Through intense moments of heartbreak, fear and love, “Outer Banks” was elevated to a new level, leaving fans on a jaw-dropping cliffhanger that made them question everything they know about the show so far. 

Unlike “Outer Banks”, “High School Musical the Musical the Series” completely dropped the ball in Season 2. After becoming a fan favorite to many “High School Musical” lovers after season one, the spinoff left fans disappointed with its Season 2 plot. First off, the show completely deviated from its original intention: nothing about Season 2 related to the “High School Musical” franchise. This alone left fans annoyed, but they still had hope for Ricky (Joshua Bassett) and Nini (Olivia Rodrigo) carrying the show with their magical chemistry and harmonizing vocals. Well, that was also a let down. However, after just a few times on screen together it was obvious Rodrigo still viewed Basset as a “traitor,” for their on screen chemistry appeared fake and forced. The only times their emotion felt genuine was during their breakup scene–ironic right? 

Luckily the series had one more opportunity to redeem themself: the music. The first season included songs that took over the charts including “All I Want,” “Wondering” and “Just for a Moment,” so fans looked forward to hearing new hits in Season 2. However, the music in this season was incomparable to the songs in Season 1, in the worst way. Besides Bassett’s “Let You Go,” no song from Season 2 connected with the fans in the way the first season’s songs did. Despite Season 1’s success, the second season of “High School Musical the Musical the Series” failed to live up to hopeful expectations in every aspect. Maybe the show will redeem themself in Season 3, but if not, it could be the end of the road for the “High School Musical” spin off.

Eager to see if “Outer Banks” continues to be a thriller and global phenomenon in Season 3, and just as anxious to see if “High School Musical the Musical the Series” will find a way to recapture its fans, people are hopeful that the third season of both shows will be released in 2022 and give viewers another chance to binge and sit on the edge of their seats. However, one thing stands true. In the battle of which show had the most successful Season 2, “Outer Banks” stands superior.