Knights meet knights at library’s Medieval Fair

By Alessia Contuzzi, News Editor

The Medieval Period took a modern spin at West Essex’s Medieval Fair in the high school library after school on Jan. 15. This event included 12 stations with prizes and snacks that were created to give students and staff an insight to the time period. 

The idea came about last June, when West Essex librarians Rosemary Rich and Catherine Spinella started to plan ahead for the 2019-2020 school year. They said they wanted to do something different, but relevant to the West Essex district.

“We are, after all, the knights,” Spinella said. “It just makes perfect sense.”

More than 80 students, along with staff members and administration, circulated through a range of stations including archery, catapult building, face painting and coloring. Students dressed up in medieval costumes. Guests were entertained by the appearance of Queen Isabella and the Red Knight from Medieval Times. The two showcased the medieval era through their costumes and performance. They also gave out four Medieval Times vouchers for prize winners.  

Queen Isabella and the Red Knight were fully in character and were dressed to impress the West Essex community in their medieval attire. Queen Isabella wore a detailed red and gold dress while she explained the customs from the fifth to the fifteenth century. The Red Knight was beside her, fully geared in armory as he showcased his sword, axe, mace and flail skills. He explained the English style horseback riding he does.

Guests said the appearance of this pair, along with the student-run stations, made the event as successful as it was. 

“This event was fun for a lot of people,” freshman Jack Bowe said. “It was definitely a big step and a good thing that our school did.” 

Rich said this event would not have been possible without the help of the administration, the PTO, the library staff, the STEM staff, art teachers Erica Lescota and Amanda Procaccino with the National Art Honor Society, seniors Jenifer Szuba and Korinne Marsh (who drew the original logo), high school history classes, Rho Kappa and Key Club.

“I just want to thank all of those people involved,” Rich said. “It was really a team effort, and was even better than I had anticipated.”