Classes plan Turkey Classic charity event

By Kylie O'Connor, Multimedia & Social Media Editor

Get gobbling for a good cause: The brand new West Essex Thanksgiving Volleyball Classic, a volleyball tournament charity event created and hosted by the school’s Sport Management classes, will raise funds for both Student Council and the Caldwell Food Pantry on Nov. 21 at 4 p.m.

Also known as the Turkey Classic, this volleyball tournament was dreamed up by Andrea Mondadori-Llauget and her Sport Management classes as a way for students in the courses to create and manage a live sporting event.

“The classes came up with the amazing idea all on their own,” Mondo said.

A slate of 10 student teams will square off, and regardless of who is the victor, the team’s entry fees will all go to good causes. The proceeds are being split in half  and donated to both the student council and the Caldwell Food Pantry.

The Sport Management classes are run through Syracuse University for college credit. The course requires that students arrange an event to raise money. As part of preparation for the event, Mondo’s students have held meetings, put signups out signs and are currently getting sponsors. Sports Management students said they’re thrilled about helping put together the event and playing a big role. Students interested in attending the charity event can contact Mondo directly via email and follow them on Instagram @weturkeyclassic.