After big sectional victory, Golf has eyes set on TOC

Back to Article
Back to Article

(Photo courtesy of Anthony Lozito) The Golf Knights were victorious in the state sectional tournament May 13.

By Ciara Morrissey, Sports Editor

As the second half of the intense spring sports season kicks into gear, West Essex Varsity Golf is rolling into the postseason with a 12-4 record and a lot of momentum.

“We have three matches against tough opponents: Newark Academy, Montclair and MKA,” senior Captain Brendan Huelbig said. “Finally, to close out the year, we have our conference tournament which we are in one of the toughest conferences that we can be in.”

The notion of playing better against strong teams was evident as the Knights have been victorious over top tier teams such as Seton Hall Prep, Montclair Kimberly Academy, Montclair High School and Parsippany.

“We had all of the four scores that count under 45 and we were able to come away with our fourth straight win against them,” Huelbig said.

The most recent win for the team came in the State Sectional Tournament on May 13, as the Knights won with a score of 339. Despite the poor weather conditions, sophomore Garrett Kessler placed second, while Huelbig placed third in individuals. Sophomores Ava Lozito, Dean Troiano and junior Anthony Slekis all made contributions in the win.

With the win in sectionals, the team automatically qualifies for the Tournament of Champions, which starts May 20, in hopes of winning the Group 2 Championship.