OPINION: Your 2019 guide to packing for the shore

By Hannah McCrone, Opinion Editor

Every year, come spring, hundreds of students rush down the shore as part of the north Jersey tradition. For West Essex it’s junior prom, memorial day weekend and senior ball that has everyone heading down whether its on a party bus or by tightly packing into a car. While these long weekends are always fun, the stress of packing is always a major worry for everyone. But fear not ladies, hopefully these packing tips will help calm your nerves and keep you stress free and ready to make memories.

PROM

The DTS prom look is one more comfy than stylish. You’re probably at a gross motel in seaside and it’s usually pretty cold this weekend. You’ll mainly be in comfy clothes and they should definitely be on the warmer side. If you still want to look cute, that’s okay too there’s plenty of comfy cute outfits for you to wear.

Here’s what I’d suggest;

• Sweatpants (or joggers) and sweatshirts (or a cute long sleeve)
    • you don’t really need those shorts you were gonna pack, it’s always cold during prom, trust me.
  • A jean jacket and leggings
    • If you’re going for less of a comfy look, this outfit works great. You can add a t shirt underneath for when the sun makes it a little warmer out.
  • Sunglasses
    • While it’s not very warm, it’s still pretty sunny.
  • Sneakers or UGGs
    • Flip flops will stay in your suitcase the whole weekend, you’ll want these instead.
  • Scrunchies/hair ties
    • Unless you have a house down the shore or a friends to go to, you probably won’t be showering prom weekend. A scrunchy and some dry shampoo are a lifesaver for this exact reason.
  • P.S. bring Lysol, everything is nasty.

MEM

Memorial day weekend is arguably the most fun of these three events, but it’s also probably the hardest to pack for. The weather is unpredictable, it goes from hot to cold depending on the time of the day. You never know what memorial day weekend weather will be like, but here are some tips based on my own past experiences.

Here’s what I’d suggest;

• Bathing suits (bikinis or cool one pieces)
    • Even if you don’t make it in the water, it’s most likely going to be warm enough for a bathing suit at some point, so make sure you pack a few.
  • Jean shorts and a cover up top
    • This is a casual outfit you can wear almost anywhere over mem. Out to dinner, to the beach, or even just at whatever house you spend the weekend at.
  • A t-shirt and comfy shorts
    • You might want to wear this to the beach too or for the drive down or up from the shore.
  • Crop top (with jean shorts/skirt or jeans)
    • If you decide to go out or have some people over during memorial day weekend, this is the obvious go to outfit.
  • Sunglasses/Scrunchies
    • Sunglasses are a must for this weekend and scrunchies will you help you out when it’s hotter and you need to put your hair up.
  • Sandals, flip flops, Steve Madden slip ons
    • All of this work for this weekend and as long as you have at least flip flops you’re set.

BALL

Depending on where you decide to go for ball, to a house or a motel, or even down at all, your packing schedule will change. If you’re going to a motel, pack as if it’s for prom. If you’re getting a house, pack for memorial day weekend. You can read the above for packing tips on both of these.