New nurse brings motherly skills to school

By Jordan Flusser, Editor-in-Chief

Lisa Garamella, a North Caldwell resident, has joined  the West Essex faculty for the 2018-2019 school year as the new school nurse.

Garamella did her training at West Essex with former nurse Paula Frisch, and said she really assisted her in learning about the position. Working under Frisch, Garamella earned her school nurse clinical hours in spring of 2017 and met the school administration. She worked as a substitute nurse in the district, and a few years later administrators called and asked her to become the new school nurse.

One of the things I enjoy most about being a nurse is the connection I have to people,” Garamella said. “I am here to help and I think it is important for kids to have a safe place to go,”  

Garamella has three children in the West Essex school district: junior Joseph Barbarito, freshman Bella Barbarito and seventh grader Michael Barbarito. She said it is nice to work in the school with her students because they are all on the same schedule.

“I don’t mind having them here at all, and I think they’re pretty okay with it,” Garamella said. “They come and check in every once in a while. It’s nice.”

Garamella earned her bachelor’s degree in science and nursing from Rutgers University  and has worked as a nurse in local school districts. She completed training in emergency medicine and clinical care to earn her school nurse certification at Rutgers in 2017.

“I have the privilege to interact with all different types of people and encounter different situations where I can assist or offer support to people in need,” Garamella said.

Garamella said she is thrilled to be working at West Essex and said the people have been really nice. She said the year has been running smoothly so far and expects her office to continue to be busy.

West Essex is a busy place,” Garamella said. “I am so impressed with how active the students are with academics and extracurricular activities.  The students and staff have been very welcoming.”

Outside of school, Garamella said she can be found on the sidelines cheering on her kids at soccer games, football games and track meets. She says spending time with her family is important to her.

“I want [students] to know that I’m here to help and they’re the reason I’m here,” Garamella said. “I’m a mom, you know, I know what the kids need and want to take care of them.”