Rho Kappa rocks the vote with registration drive

Officers of Rho Kappa staff the table at the honor society's voter registration drive Oct. 4 in the cafeteria. The drive will run through Oct. 5 for any student who will be 18 in time for this year's midterm elections.

Nikki Schachtel

Nikki Schachtel

By Chris Rysz, Apprentice Editor

Students who will be 18 years old in time for this year’s midterm elections can register now right before Block 4, thanks to a voter registration drive in the cafeteria this week.

Rho Kappa, the West Essex Social Studies Honors Society, has organized this drive from Oct. 3 to Oct. 5 during lunch in the cafeteria. Caroline Blanchard, history teacher and adviser for Rho Kappa, said the drive had good timing with its purpose.

“The upcoming midterm elections, and Rho Kappa trying to promote civic engagement” are major reasons, Ms. Blanchard said.

The honor society chose to run the registration drive during school hours, Ms. Blanchard said, because many students who will turn 18 this year may forget about registering to vote right away.

Registering to vote is a very easy process, Ms. Blanchard added: To register, prospective voters simply fill out one form with basic info and questions, and then the forms must be sent the Essex County registrar – which will be handled by the members of Rho Kappa.

Even though the timing for was good, the turnout could have been much greater if the drive were held later in the year.

“If it were later in the year, more seniors would have had time to turn 18,” Ms. Blanchard said.

• Rho Kappa rocks the vote with registration drive

School News

How to navigate updated student access sites

News

Storm surges destroy states and cities as the weather turns

• News

Parents return to the classroom for Back to School Night

• News

Christine Ford battles Brett Kavanaugh at senate hearing

News

Kaepernick commercial increases Nike sales

News

2018: The Year of the Hurricane

• News

Kanye West rants on SNL platform

News

Peer leaders train to help freshmen adjust

News

Attorney General, alumnus returns to West Essex

News

Chromebook replacements coming for two classes