Girls volleyball team makes a big comeback this season

(Photo courtesy of Anna Rose Mihalik) The girls volleyball team is off to a strong start this year with an 8-1 record so far.

By Josie Berger, Sports Editor

After a tough last season, the girls varsity volleyball team is making a comeback with an 8-1 record. The team has a strong dynamic and hard work ethic that contributes to their success.

With a total of 11 members, each individual athlete brings a different level of skill and determination to the game. This year, the athletes have great relationships, resulting in dedicated teamwork.

“Our strong bond allows us to win and do well in our games,” junior Dana Stelter said. “The more we work together, the better we do.”

This season, a challenge for them has been playing each game with consistency. The team has a great record so far, but is always looking to improve their game.

“We are very locked into our games and very focussed on winning,” junior Zoe Offir said. “I think that if we try our best in every game we play, we will end up being extremely successful.”

The training this season has been more intense and more technical, including bleacher runs and drills. The team is engaging in special exercises that are contributing to all of their achievements.

Since the volleyball team just recently changed divisions, they do not have a rival team, but are looking forward to playing against Columbia High School and hopefully winning their division. Columbia is a very tough team to beat, but West Essex is working very hard to come out on top.

“I am really looking forward to playing Columbia because even though the game will be tough, I think it will be a lot of fun!” Offir said.

On top of beating Columbia, the team has many other goals they are hoping to accomplish such as to keep on improving and possibly win the elite championship.

“Everyday we want to get better and be better than day before,” coach William Humes said.

Coach Humes has been leading the varsity girls so far this season, and with his guidance, they hope to come out on top. His advice has been significant in his athletes’ minds when entering their games.

“Play for that moment,” Coach Humes said, “enjoy the moment you are in because it goes by very fast.”

Behind the Byline
Josie Berger, Sports Editor
Josie Berger is one of the three sports editors for the Wessex Wire. In her free time, Josie enjoys watching Glee, baking cookies, and hanging out with her friends. Josie runs cross country for West Essex in the fall and goes to sleep away camp in the summer. Fun fact: Josie's favorite food is chocolate!
  • Girls volleyball team makes a big comeback this season

Opinion

OPINION: Custodians can’t fix issues they don’t know about

News

Rho Kappa rocks the vote with registration drive

Features

Students face extreme school expectations

Features

Students are at work; outside of the classroom

• Does It Bother You

Does It Bother You? My business is none of your business

Sports

Richards takes National Champion title for Girls Track

Double Truck

On the field or on the stage, students find common ground

News

Peer leaders train to help freshmen adjust

Features

Beloved culinary teacher mixes things up one last time

Opinion

OPINION: Is prom worth the hype?