Knights adopt Florida high school for hurricane relief

By Maddie Galligan, News Edtior

(Photo by Alexa Dratch) Clothes, toys, home supplies and food are collected and bagged to send to the residents of Key West.

Clubs, honor societies, sports teams and more from across West Essex banded together in October to raise money for a Florida high school in need after weathering the devastation of Hurricane Irma.

The school is donating the money raised to Key West High School in Florida, home of the Conchs, where students and faculty have been affected directly by Irma and the region was additionally battered by Hurricane Harvey. The damage in this area is extensive and catastrophic, and most residents were left without many of their personal belongings.

The fundraisers lasted for about a week and a half, with the end date being on Friday, Oct. 13. Cash donations and supplies began piling up quickly thanks to the participation of so many students. Over $8,000 has been donated for gift cards, and 11 pallets of clothing, footwear and toiletries have been collected.

“300 students and 35 teachers are without homes because their homes no longer stand or are damaged beyond repair,” Principal Diliberto said. “Many parents have lost even their ability to provide for their families because their employer no longer exists.”

Music teacher Ms. Mateyka, the school’s point person for leading relief efforts, helped organize a team of teachers and administrators to reach out to the students and ask for donations to help the Florida victims.

“West Essex students and staff want to help,” Ms. Mateyka said. “We have resources and the willingness to make a positive difference in the lives of people who have been physically and emotionally impacted by a
catastrophic event.”

One component of the relief effort is a gift card fundraiser. Clubs and sports teams donated money to put towards Visa and local supermarket gift cards, which will be delivered directly to Key West High School’s students and faculty and distributed amongst them.

The other fundraising component is the clothing and footwear drive. Because many residents in Key West lost some or all of their personal belongings due to flooding, it was requested that students donate lightly used or new clothing, shoes or toiletries.

Student volunteers helped out in the efforts by boxing up and organizing all of the donated materials. Senior Sam Adams was among these volunteers.

“The kids at Key West High School have obviously been through a lot, so I just wanted to do what I can to do my part and help them out,” Adams said. “Some of them lost a lot of their everyday stuff, so I hope the clothing drive will make a difference for them.”

Sophomore Lindsay Fusco also donated to the cause. “I can’t imagine what the victims are going through in the wake of what’s happened,” Fusco said. “I donated to try to help in whatever way
I could.”

The success of the fundraising efforts will reboot Key West High School not only monetarily, but also emotionally. Organizers hope that the donations will help students and faculty get back on their feet after the tragic events they withstood.

“I’m so excited that we will be able to help the staff and students of Key West High School,” Ms. Mateyka said. “They really need it.”