The Wessex Wire

The Student News Site of West Essex Regional High School

The Wessex Wire

The Wessex Wire

Combating political apathy

Photo by Andrew Neel/Unsplash

The past decade has seen three presidential elections all individually titled “the most impactful and significant of our lifetimes,” and for many people, a persistent feeling of confusion and aggravation towards the government has diminished into a feeling of hopelessness and indifference. Political leaders are viewed as incompetent, tyrannical, ignorant or all three. Through the events of the past few elections, the government has lost perceived authority and gained much of the population’s concern. 

Political apathy is real,  whether it comes from distrust, hopelessness or general disinterest, political apathy has become apparent in American democracy. According to a study done by the Pew Research Center, only 27% of Americans believe that the American political system is working somewhat well to extremely well. 78% also say that too little attention is put on problems that actually impact the country. Many people believe that too much attention is put on disagreements between parties, rather than anything substantial. There is a conflict between what the citizens are looking for, and the government or system is providing. 

It’s valid to want to write off politics as something that is out of our control, and live your life free of the concerns that come with being politically active. But in spite of that, people still seem to feel the need to be active citizens even in a time of confusion and political turmoil; Despite people’s general trust and faith in government decreasing, voter turnouts have increased in the past few years. The 2020 election had a 66% voter turnout, which is the highest it’s been since 1900.  

To high school students, politics are daunting, and in this day and age, pretty ridiculous. Remaining educated and informed on politics helps you form opinions on where to vote in the future. It’s easy to adopt the beliefs you inherit from your family or friends. But making educated and individual decisions though will help you feel more secure and self assured in your democratic contribution. Consuming a variety of news sources and developing a nuanced media diet, will help you feel more inclined to participate in politics.

Behind the Byline
Brennan Cunningham, News and Features Editor
Brennan Cunningham is a News and Features Editor of the 2023-2024 West Essex Wire staff. He is a musician, Eagle Scout, and loves to spend time with his family, friends and dog.