The Wessex Wire

The Student News Site of West Essex Regional High School

The Wessex Wire

The Wessex Wire

English department halts half-year senior English electives

Gabby Angelo
This year, the course request sheet will not include senior English electives, including the popular True Crime class.

The English department is officially ending all half year senior English courses beginning next school year. Instead, the classes will revert back to the usual full-year English IV CPA and English IV Honors model that is offered at all other grade levels. 

Previously, the English department offered eight half-year courses that fulfill the English graduation requirement for seniors, though not all classes ran if there is not enough student interest. These courses, according to the 2023-2024 Program of Studies,  include Literature and Psychology; Memoirs of the Game; True Crime; and Satire and Comedy in Literature. Some classes were offered at an Honors level, while others were CPA level. 

Going forward, only the True Crime half-year class will remain at West Essex, but will not fulfill an English credit. It will be available to juniors and seniors at the Honors level as a half-year elective. Based on this success, they may add more of the half-year courses as electives in the future. 

English department Supervisor Stacy Casais said the senior changes were implemented to better encompass changing standards for English instruction and to minimize scheduling conflicts that can come with half-year courses. In tandem with some other curriculum changes, she said, supervisors want to make the West Essex curriculum equitable and uniform for all students.  

“My goal is always to meet the standards and do right by the students,” she said. “In the perfect world, I would love it for all these options to run. But, realistically, we will be better able to serve more kids changing back to a full year course.”

Moving forward, the only classes that will fulfill the senior English graduation requirement are English IV CPA, English IV Honors and AP Literature and Composition. The curriculum for the Honors and CPA level classes will be rewritten, Casais said, intending to use some of the existing units from the half-year courses and incorporate more choice. 

Students will be made officially aware of these changes upon selecting their courses for next year in the upcoming weeks per the new 2024-2025 Program of Studies. 

Behind the Bylines
Eliana Rosen
Eliana Rosen, Editor in Chief
Eliana Rosen is an Editor in Chief of the 2023-2024 Wessex Wire. When she isn’t spending time with friends and family, she is probably listening to Taylor Swift and Noah Kahan on repeat. She spends her summers at Camp Ramah in the Poconos, her home away from home.   
Gabby Angelo
Gabby Angelo, Editor in Chief
Gabrielle Angelo, but you can call her Gabby, is an Editor in Chief for the 2023-2024 Wessex Wire. She enjoys spending time down the shore swimming in the ocean, eating ice cream and watching the sunsets, and loves anything  "The Vampire Diaries" related! On the weekends you can find her hanging out with friends and family making core memories.