New Year, New Goals

As we turn the page toward a new year, some people may start freshly motivated by creating New Year’s Resolutions. However, when asked, nearly all students denied making resolutions. Considering making New Year’s resolutions can raise self-esteem and lead to positive changes, this find was quite surprising.  

So, why don’t students make resolutions? Many believed following through with their resolutions would always be a failure. 

“If I do make resolutions, I kinda know I’m just not gonna follow through with it” Alexa Last, sophomore, said. Students’ rationale seemed to be; “Why make them when you know you won’t follow through?”

Another response had nothing to do with failure to complete the resolution, but the overall idea of New Year’s resolutions. “I try to better myself all year round, not just at the start of the year, so I never saw the point in making them,” Katie Haza, sophomore, said.  

Students also described themselves as lazy, and more often than not, their responses were very pessimistic. There was also a general lack of knowledge on the benefits of making the resolutions. 

The impact of making New Year’s resolutions goes way beyond just completing a goal. Resolutions that are kept provide a sense of accomplishment when you follow through with them promoting your self-esteem. Achieving the goal you set will only boost your confidence and inspire you to keep achieving new things. 

“I think if I made resolutions and actually followed through with them, I would be proud of myself and determined to keep following those and new ones,” Lauren Hain, sophomore, said. 

They also symbolize a desire to better yourself and lead to positive changes. Forcing you to self-reflect, new year’s resolutions help you create the best version of yourself inspiring growth from one year to the next.

Research has also supported the idea that those who make New Year’s resolutions are more likely to be successful in the future. A 2020 study from peer-reviewed science journal PLOS One found the comparative results of 159 people who make New Year’s resolutions and 123 people who did not make New Year’s resolutions who were interested in changing a problem. It was determined that “the resolvers reported higher rates of success than the non-resolvers.” The success rates were 46% to 4%. People who make resolutions tend to be more efficient in completing their goals than those who do not. 

By not making resolutions, you can be spiting yourself of future success. With 2021 coming to a close, start off the New Year on the right foot, and take the opportunity to create a resolution.