Seniors pleased with new off-campus lunch policy

Staff+Photo

Staff Photo

Starting this October for the first time ever, seniors are able to go off campus for lunch in addition to leaving early or arriving late if the student has a study first or last block. Coming off of a year and a half of online, hybrid and just an overall strange year of learning, West Essex is back and dolling out new and special privileges to this year’s senior class. Seemingly everyone agrees that this extra dose of freedom is well deserved after a junior year spent over Zoom or in a practically empty classroom.

West Essex seniors have been embracing their new freedoms and taking advantage of them.

“I love them,” senior Bella Barbarito said. “I think it’s a great idea. It allows more social distancing in the cafeteria as there’s less people. And it’s really nice to have that break in the day to go get something to eat.”

“I like being able to leave for lunch because we don’t have to be stuck in this cafeteria,” senior Sophia Lozito said. “I love going out with my friends during the school day.”

Seniors are obviously thrilled with these new privileges, and administration is happy to be giving them to the school.

“I’m so happy to be unveiling these new privileges, especially to this senior class,” principal Caesar Diliberto said.

“It’s great because the students are happy and the local businesses are loving it too,” assistant principal Juliann Hoebee said.

With students, administration and local businesses happy with these new senior privileges, it’s safe to say that they’ve been quite the success. Hopefully the class of 2022 continues to be responsible with them so that future senior classes will be able to have them as well.