Romano’s redesigning the fashion department

Valerie Romano may have been born on Friday the 13th, but there is nothing scary about her. Romano brought her years of experience and bubbly personality to the Fashion Illustration and Multimedia department here at West Essex and has big visions for the future. 

Up until Romano’s freshman biology class she was certain her future would be in medicine. However, while sitting in the middle of a lecture, dozing off, she came to the realization that if she could not make it through a first year bio course, she could never survive years of medical school and residency. 

It did not take long, though, for Romano to find a new passion: a sewing class, that led her to a realization:

“It occurred to me that my favorite class was sewing and in that crazy moment of me falling asleep in biology, I realized that what I wanted to do was make clothes,” Romano said.

From there, Romano took on the fashion industry, where she would spend 10 years of her life. She started working at, an urban streetwear brand and worked her way up to the director of production for its brother company, Born Fly. She wrapped up her career by working as a fashion designer at a junior clothing company, Vintage Havana.

“It’s not about the label, it’s about the design for me,” Romano said. “You’ll sooner find me in a vintage store or at TJ Maxx recreating what I buy.”

Despite enjoying her years working in the industry, Romano always knew she would eventually retire to teaching. Her high school sewing teacher left a big impact on her, but although she was such a talented artist, Romano says, the actual technicalities and technology of teaching was not her strong suit. Romano wanted to make sure that one day students would have someone that was educated in both fields. After gaining experience at Summit and Plainfield High School, Romano found her new home here. 

“Since I had the opportunity to come here, I will never leave,” Romano said with a laugh. “They will have to kick me out.” 

Although born and raised in crosstown rival Caldwell, Romano truly embodies West Essex spirit. She appreciates and commends students here already for being receptive, welcoming and excited to learn. It is only Romano’s first month, but she has come in with a find full of new, fresh ideas. She hopes to expand the fashion illustration program even further and give students the opportunity to not just draw their designs but eventually create them. 

Romano’s goal is to make her classroom fun and her one rule is that it can never be quiet which is not quite traditional for teachers. Whether it is music or conversation, the silence always has to be filled.

The Wessex Wire • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in