OPINION: New policies, while restrictive, prioritize safety & security

Between cracking down on absences, mandating IDs and regulating how students access their cell phones, West Essex is battling something… but what is it? Prior to the school year, the school administration sent email an informing families about new policies that would be enforced right at the start of the year. They’ve proven quite contentious in a few ways, and many students had a lot of criticism, but now that we’ve had a full marking period to get used to them, I’m of the opinion that the policies, while a little restrictive, are a good move for the school since they’re focused on security and best practices for learning.

First, absences. Students are not allowed more than eighteen absences during the school year. While at first this may not seem to be a sufficient amount, when the number is broken down, students are allowed one absence every ten days. I believe that this policy makes sense. How are students supposed to learn if they are not in school? While regulating our absence allowances might seem tough, giving us 18 absences for the year is more than generous.

Next up: IDs. At the beginning of the previous school year, the school attempted to enforce students to wear IDs at all times. However, this did not last long, as there were no consequences for anyone who decided against wearing the identification. This year, if you are seen without an ID, you receive a warning, and a second offense warrants a detention. Because of this, there have been a greater number of students wearing identification this year. Additionally, school personnel are being required to wear IDs as well. With attacks that target U.S. schools, I believe IDs are an attempt to keep students safe. Attention will be drawn to anyone who does not have an ID, increasing vigilance towards the situation.

Finally, cell phones. This year, all classrooms are equipped with a multi-pouched holder on the wall to which students have assigned the name “phone jails.” Students must place their phones in a pouch as they enter the classroom, and cannot access the device until the end of the period, or unless their teacher says otherwise. This was clearly the policy that received the most pushback. Students argued that they aren’t on their phones during class, because their phones are in their backpacks. However, I agree with the school administration when they argue that temporarily mounting phones on the wall during class will eliminate distraction. In the event of an emergency, like a lockdown, students will still be granted access to their phones.

Ultimately, I believe it is clear that West Essex is cracking down on policies to maintain security.

The Wessex Wire • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in