Students upset by loss from Notre Dame fire

Ava DiGiacomo

Onlookers witness the damaged exterior of Notre Dame cathedral in Paris on April 16.

By Cristian Cataldo, News Editor

One of  the oldest cathedrals in Paris, Notre Dame De Paris, caught flames on Monday, Apr. 15. The cathedral was 850 years old, along with the art  that was also destroyed because of the fire. There were no deaths on the scene, but three people were injured, including a fireman that suffered from serious burns. One of the only leads so far for the start of the fire were cigarette buds found on the scaffolding, said a New York Times article on April 25.

The Notre Dame Church was not just a place of worship for many people; it is a symbol of the entire country of France. This tragedy left many people, including many at West Essex,saddened and speechless at the damage to the cultural icon.

“It’s a terrible loss for the people in Paris; there isn’t really anything else to say,” said junior Vito Benevenga.

Many people in Paris were wide eyed as they saw the symbol of their country burst into flames. The church burned for several hours before getting put out and the city of Paris  saw the spire of the church fall, along with their hearts.

Hundreds of firemen helped put the fire out, but their efforts to get to the church were stalled due to traffic. .

Despite the damage, the church still stands, and French officials have vowed to rebuild. Many, including French and English teacher Heidi Klein, said they find the efforts commendable. “It is still an amazing building to see,” Ms. Klein said.