Students support each other while the name of the last Parkland victim is read. Photo by Alexa Dratch

West Essex students walk out, stage day of action on one month anniversary of Parkland shooting

March 14, 2018

Students at West Essex High School held a walkout and day of action on Wednesday to show their support for the victims of the recent mass shooting in Parkland, Florida and to call for legislative action regarding school safety.

Before leaving the building at about 9:15 a.m., students manned numerous stations throughout the school’s cafeteria and hallways where students could buy t-shirts and bracelets, send letters to their senators and representatives and even register to vote.  A town hall-style assembly organized by students featured congressional candidates Martin Hewitt (R), Tamara Harris (D) and Mitchell Cobert (D), as well as former New Jersey governor and state senator Richard Codey. Representatives from Moms Demand Action and the League of Women Voters were also present.

The day-long display marks the one month anniversary of the Valentine’s Day shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School where 14 students and three staff members were killed.  It is part of a nationwide, student-led memorial and protest.

Students who chose to participate in the walkout met in one of the school’s parking lots and stayed outside for 17 minutes—60 seconds for each of the Parkland victims. The names of victims were read over a megaphone; one student presented a poem.

Sophomore Evie Klein, who helped organize the demonstration, said students worked hard to make sure that the day allowed for constructive dialogue and the opportunity to participate in visible change.

“It’s about taking action more than just walking out,” she said.

Senior Celia White said she was impressed with how extensive the demonstrations were and how powerful student voices have become since the shooting in Florida.  

“I feel like most people actually believe in what we are doing,” she said.

Christine McGrath, the Essex County Co-leader for Moms Demand Action, manned a table outside the auditorium and spoke to students about how they can become advocates.

“We’re so excited that students are so involved in this issue,” she said.  “Their advocacy will make a difference.”

Students met with the three congressional candidates in the auditorium at 11:00 a.m. for a town hall.  All three, though competing for the chance to claim the same seat in the 11th congressional district, encouraged students to hold their legislators to account and to fight for change.

“Each of you is a change agent,” Harris said.

“You, as a voice, united, can make a difference today,” Cobert said.

“The future belongs to you—not us,” Hewitt told students.

Codey, who served as governor from 2004 to 2006, debated audience members about guns ownership as well as mental health and violence. Some of the exchanges, especially those dealing with mental illness, became contentious.

School administration was uninvolved in Wednesday’s activism but worked with students to coordinate the logistics of the day’s events to ensure the safety of those participating.  Students agreed to walk out at a time designated by administrators, and the North Caldwell and Fairfield Police Departments closed the campus while the protest took place.

Students thanked police officers who were stationed around the campus and throughout the building for their service. 

West Essex students were among thousands of American students who participated in similar demonstrations across the country today.

Behind the Byline
Photo of Michael Sessa
Michael Sessa, Editor-in-Chief
Michael Sessa is the Editor-in-Chief of the Wessex Wire.  Michael reads and writes extensively.  He is particularly interested in issues of politics, history, religion and philosophy.  Michael is an Eagle Scout and loves the outdoors; he spends his summers working at a Boy Scout and enjoys hiking and camping. Michael's favorite books are The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz and Arguably by Christopher Hitchens.

The Wessex Wire • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in